Sunday 12 October 2014

New places and activities #1: Check mate knock-out


This is probably the first very random activity of the 29 Challenge…Chessboxing! It was only in the past few months that I first came across it thanks to an ex boyfriend. While we didn’t last, I was still intrigued by the sport, and so I brought in my partner in crime of doing random things, my school friend Rachel. She will be one of the many that will appear regularly on the blog.

Now back to Chessboxing, what is it I hear you ask? Well two contenders play a timed game of chess over a series of rounds. They also box over a series of rounds. So the first round is chess, second round boxing and so on. As the rounds go by, they get more tired, mistakes get made in the chess and that’s where it gets interesting. 


It’s a combination that you wouldn't think would work but really does, and before I knew it I was shouting; ‘Use your bishop’ and ‘castle him!’ Who knew there could be chess banter?
It’s a great night out, bring on the next match. I went to LondonChessboxing, give it a try.

No comments:

Post a Comment