Sunday 5 July 2015

Reconnecting #21: When neighbours become good friends

As I said in my previous post on Sunday I held my friend Laura a Neighbours day. We watched the documentary about Neighbours being 30, played the Neighbours board game where you make up plots and watched 8 classic Neighbours episodes. These included of course Scott and Charlene’s wedding, Jim Robinson’s death and Libby and Drew’s wedding.

I decided to make the day extra special and wrote to the Neighbours cast, pretty much asking for autographs. I first wrote to someone for an autograph when I was a teenager and the first one I got was Jack Ryder’s from Eastenders (whatever happened to him?)

The last time I wrote to someone asking for an autograph was in 2009. My friend and Humaira and I were both job hunting and she was feeling quite low about it. So I wrote to an actor she liked in a show called Material Girl. I asked for a signed picture for Humaira to cheer her up. He replied a few weeks later with a signed picture, and he wrote a good luck note on the back of the picture. I sent it to her as a surprise and she loved it.


Back to the Neighbours cast, around 6 weeks after I sent the letter I got a reply. The minimum I asked for was signed pictures for Laura, but what would be even better was if they signed a wedding card I enclosed, complete with tips for a happy marriage…..and the cast did just that!


 I was so shocked and overwhelmed, and when I gave Laura the card she felt exactly the same. It’s amazing how the little things a stranger can do can make the biggest impact. Signing the card probably took a minute tops each for the cast to do, but for Laura as a big Neighbours fan it meant the world and is priceless.


No comments:

Post a Comment