Sunday 7 June 2015

New Book #19: Bedtime Stories

The latest book I read, I heard about in an article a few years ago, and it had been on my Amazon wish list for years. So when I saw it in Waterstones for £1 I couldn't turn it down.


The Reading Promise by Alice Ozma is about a promise Alice and her dad made to read aloud together for 100 consecutive nights. Upon completing what this, they then challenged themselves to see how long they could keep their ‘streak’ of reading going. They started the challenge when Alice was 9 years old and finished on her first day of college. This totalled 3,218 nights!

I thought it was a great book to read for the challenge, as what they did was a challenge itself. Alice and her dad Jim have a very close relationship and it explored her being raised by a single father and the ups and downs of growing up.

Jim was a Librarian and his passion for reading and books was shown throughout the book. I have to admit I cried at the end when he retired from being a school librarian, but cried of happiness when in his retirement he volunteered to read to the elderly in old people’s homes and found it rewarding.

It’s a great read for anyone who is close to their dad or has a passion for reading. There’s also a list of a selection of the books Alice and her dad read if further reading inspiration is needed.

No comments:

Post a Comment