Wednesday 8 July 2015

Meet new people #16-18: Confidence is Key

Last night I went to see Davina McCall give a talk and Q&A at Bafta 195 Piccadilly in London. The talk was organised by Cosmo magazine and it was all about confidence and empowerment. I originally asked a few friends if they wanted to go, none did, so rather than miss out I decided to go on my own.


There was a drinks reception when you arrived and I did a bit of people watching to begin with. I then got talking to Punita who also came on her own, and then we got talking to Louise who was also flying solo. So we hung out together for the rest of the night. They were great company; we all had the same sort of attitude of not missing out on things. And I found out Louise likes Aussie Masterchef, fans of this show are far and few between.

Davina was great, funny, motivating, real and just like us. When she came on stage I thought it wasn’t her as she looked so normal. She was a real chatterbox and wanted to chat all night, so just over an hour didn’t seem long enough. She even spoke to me and Louise. During the drinks reception I was saying I need to lay off the carbs as I had eaten loads over the weekend. Davina mentioned she wanted to do a recipe book about smart carbs and Louise started pointing at me when she mentioned carbs. And Davina said to me, you must eat your carbs! I think Davina is a real good endorsement of the see food diet.

When it came to the Q&A one of the first questions was by someone who had a tough first day in a new job, and she said how the talk had cheered her up. Davina got down from the stage, gave the lady a hug and then asked her questions about her job and gave her a pep talk so she could conquer the next day. Davina then stayed in the audience area and tried to get close to whoever was asking a question. She had great words of wisdom, the best line was; ‘To try and fail is temporary, but to not try at all is failure.


Unfortunately we didn’t get to meet Davina afterwards, but we decided to have a group photo anyway. We also ended up seeing another celebrity in the street. We were walking back to the tube and who walks past but Bill Nighy! I smiled and he smiled back and then I only realised who it was when he walked away. Luckily Punita and Louise were my witness and can confirm it was him.


The fun didn’t end there as on the tube the most embarrassing/funniest thing happened. A guy comes onto the tube I'm on and loudly says he saw me from the carriage next door and asks if the guy standing next to me is my boyfriend. I had never met the guy next to me and we both looked very embarrassed and said no. This random guy then asks again very loudly if I’m single. Now to be honest I didn’t fancy the guy and so rather than embarrass him, I said that I was going through a break up (which is sort of true) and that I wasn’t looking.


He accepted the answer and we continued to chat as he seemed a nice enough guy. I learnt that his name was Darren, from Newcastle and lost his job the previous week and had just been on a personal development course called 72 hours. So a completely random encounter, but I did say to Darren that it takes serious balls to go up to do what he did. I guess the night really was all about confidence.

No comments:

Post a Comment