Thursday 30 July 2015

New Book #20 The Unknown

My mum and I have been fans of Cecelia Ahern books since her first book P.S. I Love You came out. Ahern's second book Where Rainbows End is one of my favourite books, but then her future books got a stopped being real and started being very imagination and away with the fairies based. But because we liked the first two books, we carried on reading the others in the hope that they would be as good as her first two.

Her latest book is The Year I Met You and is about Jasmine and Matt who live on the same street. Jasmine co-founded a company that worked with start-ups, but her contract was terminated and she was put on gardening leave for a year. Matt was a very outspoken DJ who in turn also had his contract terminated and was put on gardening leave also. He said something on air years ago which offended Jasmine, so she has taken a strong dislike to him ever since. The story is how they get to know each other over the year while they deal with their loss of jobs.


The book wasn't one of Ahern's away with the fairy ones and I enjoyed it. It was quite close to home at times as although I wasn't on gardening leave, I didn't pass my probation at my last events job last year. So I experienced the same uncertainty as to what to do next, the big void of the unknown. The characters were well developed, however I think it would've been better if there was a bit more emotion behind them when she described how they immediately felt when starting their gardening leave. Ahern's writing style felt like you were living in the same street as Matt and Jasmine, and that’s quite a hard thing to achieve.

No comments:

Post a Comment