Saturday 18 October 2014

New film #1 and New food #2: A sweet river



My friend Jen said that I should celebrate my birthday like the queen and celebrate twice. So she came round for an afternoon with some surprises. The first being that she cooked a great chilli for me, and then she got me orange and spiced tea and the Joan Rivers A Piece of Work documentary.

Thanks to working at an old people’s home part time for five years, I am an expert tea maker, but I’m not really a hot drink fan. With the 29 challenge it’s all about trying new things, so I gave it a try. The orange and spiced tea smelt of Christmas and tasted very fragrant. Not sure it was for me, but I am open to trying other flavoured teas.

I first heard about Joan Rivers A Piece of Work soon after her passing, as on the Late Night Show with Jimmy Fallon, Jimmy recommended watching it. Jen and I are both big E! channel fans, so we’d seen plenty of Fashion Police which Joan hosted. The documentary was a real eye opener as it chronicled a year where work was very up and down for Joan. She was a real hard worker, in her apartment she had a filing cabinet full of jokes, worked from 7am-11pm, in high heels and at the age of 75. And more surprisingly she married her husband after knowing him for 4 days, yes 4 days! It was also humbling to see that even though she was a celebrity, Joan was human when it came to criticism and the fear of it and how it still got to her sometimes.

So if you can give Joan Rivers A Piece of Work a watch, she was one of a kind.


No comments:

Post a Comment