Tuesday 14 October 2014

Reconnecting #1: Writing


2008, the year I graduated was the last time I wrote on a regular basis. I went to Staffordshire Uni and studied Journalism. In essence we were freelancers for 3 years as every article we wrote had to be submitted for publications. I had wanted to be a journalist since I was 14, but by my third year the spark had gone. Add to the fact that my main lecturer said my grammar and punctuation was poor and my intros weren't compelling enough, I knew that journalism wasn't for me. I wanted to prove my lecturer wrong, and so with my; ‘don’t get bitter get better’ approach I got a 2:1.

I still write articles occasionally for friends, but joke ones. For my friend Jasmine, at an old work place we worked at, she got all her work done within 45 minutes of arriving. So I wrote an article saying she was a record breaker, and that her native Australia was proud. It stopped her being bored for a few minutes at least.

So writing this blog is reconnecting with a thing, and that thing is writing articles I guess, as blog posts are that in a way. Add shorthand practice into the mix, and it would be like I never left uni! 

No comments:

Post a Comment