Tuesday 18 November 2014

New places and activities #6, #7 and #8, and new food #7: More than a stone throw away

On Sunday my friend Kayleigh and I had a very early start as we took a coach trip to Stone Henge, Salisbury and Bath with Golden Tours. I was expecting a fair few OAP’s on the tour, or as my flatmate called them the blue rinse crew, but apart from the tour guide there wasn't any. And Kayleigh and I were the only ones that weren't tourists!

Our first stop was Stone Henge, and it was good to see a landmark, but with the early start and a box of mini doughnuts not kicking in for energy, it didn’t really dazzle me. We then made our way to Salisbury and had a look round the cathedral which after leaving made me feel very cultured and knowledgeable.    

Bath was the last place we looked around and I loved it. We looked round the Roman Baths, and the best part was that one of the audio guides was done by Bill Bryson. His commentary was aimed at children but was quite funny. Especially when he said of the look of one of the statues; ‘He didn't look like the sort of guy you’d want to go to the pub with.’ I even tried the Roman Bath Spa water, which wasn't as bad as I thought it would be, although Kayleigh might disagree!


Unfortunately we only got to spend about 90 minutes in Bath, but what I saw I loved, and will definitely go back at some point. Even though coach tours are very structured, I think they are great to give a taster of a place that you haven’t been before.  


No comments:

Post a Comment