Saturday 15 November 2014

Reconnecting #4: The other side of the world

There are always friendships that are with you for a long time, and then life happens and the friendship fades away. I first met my friend Tom when I was 16 and he was 13. His mum and my mum were both teachers at the same school, and our friendship started when it was the final day of summer term and the staff would do a bring and share lunch. Tom and I would be the ones that would finish off all the food.


This is Tom and I in 2006

Tom’s family moved away firstly to Wales, so we’d email each other and then when I was at uni when I had minutes left on my phone to use, I’d call Tom. Then he moved to Sydney, back to Wales, then back to Australia and currently he’s in New Zealand. Over the years with both of us being in the university bubble we lost touch, which happens with friendships sometimes. My dad says that if a person is important to you, then they’ll come back in your life.

Tom randomly popped into my mind the other week and I simply messaged him asking how he was. Coincidently he had an upcoming trip to the UK and asked if we could catch up while he was there. To be honest I wasn't sure we were going to meet up because I thought he’d want to catch up with lots of other people and wouldn't have time. But this afternoon we caught up! I hadn't seen or really spoken to him in 6 years and when we caught up it was if no time had passed. We managed to fill each other in on what had happened in the past 6 years and talk about now and the future. And we laughed a lot; even though we're older it’s great that our sense of humour is the same.



Tom and I today

So if you've lost touch with a good friend, just message them hi and ask how they are. There’s nothing to lose and a friendship could restart. 

No comments:

Post a Comment