Saturday 21 February 2015

New book #5: Not so great Gatsby

There are some books that people are supposed to read, the ones that regularly top the classics list. The Great Gatsby is one of them. My friend Rachel lent me this book when I was going to Rome which was a while back, as I thought I’d have time to read it. I read a bit (see below,) but sightseeing got in the way.


So I've been reading it on/off ever since and today I finally finished, even though it’s a really short book being 9 chapters. Maybe it’s because I didn't read it all in one go, but I just couldn't get into it. I felt I couldn't get to know the characters, as every time the book let you, you get stopped. It was only in the last couple of chapters you get to know Gatsby himself. For me I like books that get straight into the action, and less on the description.


So I’m afraid The Great Gatsby wasn't so great, but I'm really intrigued about how the Baz Luhrmann film turned out. That might be one to watch for the challenge.

No comments:

Post a Comment