Monday 9 February 2015

Reconnecting #7, New people #10 and new food #15: Midlands meet up

After finding out at work I had 2 and half days holiday to use before my contract finishes I thought I’d catch up with some uni friends.

The first being my friend Humaira, but to me she is known as Di-Lowe because she fancies Rob Lowe and Leonardo DiCaprio, so the name combines both guys. And to her I’m known as Doll, because when we went out for lunch once a waiter called me Doll, and the name has stuck.


                                This is us in 2009 at the Capital FM Summertime Ball.

We've been friends since uni, and we’re both firm believers in the quote that Carrie Bradshaw says in an episode of Sex and the City: ‘Friendships don’t magically last forty years….you have to invest in them.’ Upon leaving uni we’d text or email nearly every day, support each other through job hunts and have regular catch ups every few months. Even though she is based in Birmingham, and I’m in Hitchin, distance wasn't a barrier for us.

But then life happens and somehow the close contact we once had got lost. A few months ago we kick started our friendship and now we’re back to how we used to be. I last saw Humaira in 2013 which is a lifetime for the pair of us, so Friday was a happy reunion for us both, and it was if no time had passed.


I also got to meet her son Ayden who is 5 months old (correct me Di-Lowe if I got his age wrong!) and apparently I was a calming influence on him.


Di-Lowe not only made us Nachos and got my staple of appletiser, but she also made Biryani which she suggested I make. It tasted great, not as spicy as I thought and very filling. Can't wait to try cooking it myself.


No comments:

Post a Comment