Wednesday 11 February 2015

Reconnecting #8: Local catch ups are the ones you take for granted

To finish my 4 day weekend I had another catch up with one of my uni mates, who goes by the name of Vicky but I call her Scrunchie (an inside joke about hair) and she either calls me Jofo or Grandma because I’m older then her….albeit only by a few months. At uni she would get me happy birthday Grandma cards and put inside them, sorry its late I thought you’d be dead!

I’m not sure when we became friends at uni, we were in the same halls, only not on the same floor which meant we were ‘worlds’ apart. But eventually we became friends, shopping trips; cinema outings and nights out were standard.

                                                                           Vicky and I in 2008

We only live about 30 minutes away from each other and after uni we used to meet up every few months, but like so many things, life got in the way. I last saw Vicky when we went to see Pink in concert in 2013; she had purple hair then (Vicky not Pink.)

So on Monday we met up again and did our main tradition of a Channing day (which usually ended up being an afternoon.) Back at uni Channing Tatum was a fresh face and only had a couple of films to his name; Step Up and She’s the Man. Vicky and I could probably quote She’s the Man in full. ‘Am I right, am I right?!’ (For anyone who hasn’t seen the film, that quote would make no sense.) Now Channing has over 20 films to his name, but on Monday we settled for watching The Vow and Step Up.

Just like all strong friendships, even though we hadn’t seen each other in a couple of years, it was like no time had passed and soon enough we were bringing out the old jokes. Good to see you again Scrunchie, lets not leave it so long next time!


                                                                     Vicky and I today 

No comments:

Post a Comment