Saturday 4 April 2015

What constitutes a challenge?

Since starting the 29 challenge in October I’ve been thinking a lot about what constitutes a challenge. With so many physical challenges covered in the media; marathons, tough mudders and skydives, is a challenge just physical? If you challenge yourself in other ways, like what I’m doing in this blog, is it a less worthy challenge?


                                                    At the end of Tough Mudder

I looked at the dictionary to find the answer. By definition a challenge is the following:

Noun;
      1 )     An invitation to someone to take part in a contest or to prove something.
      2)      A demanding task or situation.

Verb;
      1)      Raise doubt as to whether something is true or genuine.
      2)      Call on someone to fight or do something difficult.
      3)       (of a guard) call on someone to prove their identity.

Definition of the word challenging;
Testing your abilities in an interesting way.

The definition of challenging is one I like the most. The 29 challenge is testing me in 11 different ways. I’m testing the senses, testing my intellect and opening my mind to different things I wouldn’t normally try. It’s testing my commitment to a hobby; screen writing which I’ll openly admit being the toughest part to keep up every month, and so far most months I haven’t been successful. I’m reading books I wouldn’t normally read, seeing films I wouldn’t normally see and listening to music I wouldn’t normally listen to. I’m opening my mind and to some having an open mind is the biggest challenge of all.

Let’s look at the first part of the challenge definition, taking part in a contest to prove something. Over the years I’ve done a 5km and 10km run, a half marathon, Tough Mudder and 50km walk. The latter two I did on my own because nobody was mad enough to do them with me. The training I did for the latter two I did on my own as well, and that’s a challenge in itself. Getting motivated to go for a run in cold winter when the snow is melting slowly but surely is tough. But I did it.


                                                       After my first race, the 5km.                         

There have been times when I’ve wanted to do a physical challenge and my body simply said no. When I was in New Zealand I wanted to do a bungee jump. I was 30cm away from the end and although my brain wanted to jump, my body wouldn’t let me. My fear of diving got in the way, and a second attempt ended in the same way. The other factor could have been too much waiting around; I was the lightest in the group and had to go last as the bungee cord had to be warmed up. When I did Go Ape, on the Tarzan jump I went straight in and did it. I knew if I didn’t then it could’ve ended up like the failed bungee jump.


                                                    Failing to do a bungee jump

I have proved something in every one of these events (even in the failed bungee jump), so have I got anything left to prove in physical contests?

Yes films can be easy to watch and books can be read easily, but it’s keeping up momentum when life gets in the way, that’s when the challenge becomes challenging. Currently I’m job hunting and trying to fit in the challenge and doing job applications is a balancing act. I’d much rather watch a film or try a new activity then write countless job applications.

Over the course of a year I am attempting to do 319 different things, surely that’s a challenge in itself? How many people can say they are trying to prove something 319 times?


So although I won’t be covered in mud, put my body through the mill, get a medal at the finish line or wake up the next day aching all over, I will have experienced more things in one year than I have ever done before. Bring on the rest of the 29 challenge!

No comments:

Post a Comment