Wednesday 22 April 2015

Reconnecting #13: Punting paradise?!?

During my uni holidays I worked for a conference company. The company put on conferences for the Risk Assessment industry and on the second day of each conference we’d go punting and have a race. The delegates took it very seriously; teams would be put together on the first night and you could bet on which team was going to win, or buy shares in the betting book. I remember one night somebody bet £1000 on whether the chairman would be pushed into the river!

So for around 4 years every September I’d go punting in either Oxford or Cambridge. My boss would also take me before and after each conference to relax, and one of her friends taught me to punt. The pole is quite heavy and I very nearly hit my boss on the head.

I last went punting in 2009, and last Saturday I went again for my friend Rae-Anna’s birthday. It was a punting treasure hunt, so the first part was punting and then a treasure hunt. Because I’d been punting before I volunteered to punt first, and it was not how I remembered it. It was so much harder and tiring. I got so frustrated really quickly as it was windy so we ended up going round in circles. I slept very well that night!



It was good to reconnect with something I did years ago, but on this occasion I’ll stick with those memories of punting in September sun. It was less tiring and windy back then.

No comments:

Post a Comment