Wednesday 29 April 2015

Reconnecting #15: The best day in London

On Sunday I went to cheer on strangers at the London Marathon with my sister Lucy and my flatmate Charlotte. I last went to cheer about 3 or 4 years ago and I’ve been meaning to go back every year, but other things have got in the way. For me not being a huge fan of the city, it’s the best day in London.


I was on the lookout for my old uni friend Ness and her husband Andy, and the Radio DJ Greg James. To my disappointment I missed them all; I must have been blinded by Greg’s height.

Like the previous times I’ve gone it was great fun, as soon as I saw somebody’s name on their top I started shouting….and didn't stop. Lucy had to get a bottle of water as my voice started to falter about 20 minutes in. I then remembered I had a megaphone in my bag which Lucy had got me for as an ironic Christmas present years ago. Ironic because I don’t need it as I talk so much. (A few days on my voice is still a bit sore.)

Once I got the megaphone out there was no stopping me, I started singing the batman theme tune for a couple of guys dressed as batman and I sang Let It Go for a couple dressed as Elsa and Ana from Frozen. I can’t remember how many people I called my hero or that they were my man but I loved every minute of it.


Lucy also set me a challenge to see how many high fives I could get in a minute, disappointingly I only managed 7. The biggest buzz from cheering was seeing people that were walking when they approached and back to running once I started cheering. I don’t whether that was to get away from my shouting or I actually encouraged them to start running again.

I’ll definitely be going back to cheer next year, I hear George Clooney is going to be running and he’ll need my support for certain!


No comments:

Post a Comment