Thursday 23 April 2015

Reconnecting #14: Coffee and Meryl Streep

A few years ago I was a Wedding Coordinator at a local venue. I was there for nearly a year and planned weddings for 8 months of those. While working there I got on really well with Charmaine the Conference Coordinator. Both weddings and conferences were pretty hectic and there were times we were overworked and understaffed. Charmaine and I were each other’s rocks. I knew she lived on skinny lattes and with a Starbucks round the corner I would buy her these to keep her going. We then thought me buying coffee for her was like Devil Wears Prada with Anne Hatherway being Meryl Streep’s assistant. And so the nicknames of Hatherway and Meryl were born.

When I left the venue I gave ‘Meryl’ a picture of our time together at the venue. This picture was a still of the Devil Wears Prada and I signed it as if I was Anne Hathaway. Years later and ‘Meryl’ still has this on her desk.

We hadn’t caught up since 2013, although we’ve stayed in regular contact. Today we had a lovely catch up in the sun at where else; Starbucks! Things got off to a great start when ‘Meryl’ called me saying she got a sunny table and I thought she said funny table, I asked how could a table be funny?!


                                                Meryl and Hatherway reunited
                                                  
Like any good friendship it was as if no time had passed, we caught up on our working lives and found out we both loved Neighbours back in the day. So for our next catch we will be watching Devil Wears Prada, and Scott and Charlene’s wedding. It was great to catch up with ‘Meryl’, I hope it isn’t over a year until our next catch up.

No comments:

Post a Comment