Monday 30 March 2015

New book #8: Keep your friends close, and your enemies closer

When it comes to cricket anybody who knows me knows that my favourite player is Alastair Cook 
(yes even now) and my least favourite player is one Kevin Pieterson.

My friend Ando knew this and so for my birthday he bought me KP’s autobiography, he is too kind! I’ve had a strong dislike for KP for years. I thought he wasn’t a team player, only cared for his profile and was only kept in the team because of the 2005 Ashes, even though his form had long gone.


                                         Me and Ando after meeting Graeme Swann

I started to read the book and slowly but surely my mind changed. When the book came out there was a lot of controversy surrounding it, a lot of things happened in the England changing room that created a toxic environment. And unless you were in that changing room you’d never fully know what went on.

From reading the book I think KP was treated unfairly a couple of times. One in particular was when there was textgate when KP supposedly was texting members of the South African team and revealing tactics. He denied this, but even with the denial KP had to have one to ones with all the team to apologise for his actions. It was supposed to be his way of being reintegrated into the team and if he didn’t do these one to ones, he was out of the squad.

Another time Matt Prior aka the big cheese bragged about being part of the Big Bash, an aussie cricket tournament. When KP talked about the IPL which was a similar format, it was ignored and frowned upon.

It was either very good writing of KP’s or a sign of me maturing but I actually felt sorry for him. He simply just wanted to play cricket for England. Yes he made some off the cuff comments on twitter, but in the grand scheme of things that shouldn’t affect his performance.

Now the dirty laundry has aired so to speak, I’d be interested to see whether KP can get back on the England team this summer. I’m not a fan of him yet, but no longer have a strong dislike to him.



No comments:

Post a Comment