Tuesday 31 March 2015

New Films #28: Did the hype help or hinder?

I’m a big fan of Jake Gyllenhaal and let’s cut straight to the chase, when I was on holiday a few years ago in New York I met him! He was in an off Broadway play and I waited by stage door to meet him. He was very nice and patient while I found someone to take a picture of us.


I’ve seen a large majority of his films; Jarhead, Brokeback Mountain, Love and Other Drugs, Source Code to name a few. But I hadn’t seen the film that brought him fame first, Donnie Darko. Quite a few people told me it was going to be dark and twisted, so I braced myself for that. However while watching it, although there were weird things, it wasn’t any weirder than I’d seen in other ‘weird’ films.


I really wanted to be raving about the film, but I finished watching it and it didn’t really have a big impact on me. I think I found episodes of a kids show called Round the Twist more dark and twisted!

No comments:

Post a Comment