Saturday 21 March 2015

New Film #25: Redemption

Cast your mind back a week and I watched a film called Slacker, directed by Richard Linklater. I was less than impressed. But he did make the Before Sunset trilogy, so it was time to give him another chance.
On Thursday Rachel and I watched a documentary about Linklater called 21 Years: Richard Linklater and it was great. It had lots of interviews with different stars of his films: Matthew McConaughey, Jack Black and Zac Efron to name a few.


The documentary went through Linklater’s entire back catalogue and what’s really interesting is how you can pinpoint his style of film. He’s done every sort of film including; period, comedy, kids, drama and romance.

What you learn from this documentary is he’s really passionate about film and Austin, Texas where he lives. He’s put a lot of work in to getting films made there, and is very involved with the Austin Film Festival, and when an airport closed there he helped get a film studio made in the airport hangers which were now redundant.

It was a great documentary and I left feeling inspired to get up and make something myself. Two of the guys contributing said that Linklater goes and makes films and leaves you thinking; well if he can do it with barely any money, there’s no excuse why I can’t.


Time to start thinking what I can make. 

No comments:

Post a Comment