Tuesday 17 March 2015

New Film #22 and New book #6: Can the book play on film?

I’ve got back into reading mode again, and managed to read Silver Linings Play Book in a week! It was the type I fiction where it gets straight to the action. The characters were in depth, and although Pat’s character ruined quite a few American classics for me, you got see some real emotion from a male character which makes a change. I read the book before I saw the film as it’s easier that way.


The film was a solid film, but there were a few main differences from the book, and I think that’s because of the casting. For example Robert De Niro’s character of Pat’s dad is fleshed out, and has more interaction with Pat. In the book though it isn’t until about halfway through that he makes an effort with his son. The motives of Tiffany in the book are slightly different as well. She doesn’t meet Pat’s family until much later on in the book. Again I think it’s because of the casting of Jennifer Lawrence and the director seeing that the role could be Oscar winning that he gives her more scenes with Pat’s family. The one where she reels off American football stats is particularly impressive.


The book to film adaptation is pretty good, there hasn’t been anything that has been missed out, rather the character dynamics just changing slightly.

No comments:

Post a Comment