Thursday 19 March 2015

Reconnecting #11: Nostalgic Neighbours

The show Neighbours is 30 years old this week, but I haven’t seen the show in 5 or so years. I guess with the increasing amount of good American and British shows made, little shows get pushed to the side, and Neighbours was one of them.

Last night there was a documentary about Neighbours turning 30 and I absolutely loved it. It made me laugh, it made me cry and shout a lot at the TV. It was great that people that made it big like Guy Pearce and Kylie Minogue embraced the show and weren’t ashamed of it.

I have been a fan of the show since birth really, although around the age of 9 or 10 was when I became a really geeky fan. So geeky in that I’d go to jumble sales in the search of Neighbours annuals from the 80’s. I won £50 in a school raffle and £10 of that went on the 10 year anniversary video of the show. And around that age I spent my school holidays writing a Neighbours book, yes you read right. I drew pictures of the characters and wrote the biographies of them, as well as draw out family trees. Me and my sister found some of these in the loft last year and my writing was embarrassing.


For our last family holiday before we all left home in 2008 we went to Australia and New Zealand, and while in Melbourne we went on the Neighbours tour. The tour bus played old episodes and I could have stayed on that bus all day. We even got to meet Jackie Woodburne aka Susan Kennedy!



So last night’s trip down memory lane took me back to being a 10 year old Neighbours geek again. I may watch a few episodes coming up that are bringing back old characters. Happy birthday Neighbours, you’re looking great for 30.

No comments:

Post a Comment