Saturday 28 March 2015

New films #26-27: Historical pieces

First things first I’m not a big fan of historical pieces. I haven’t watched Downton Abbey, and even though Jeremy Piven (who I think is great) is in Mr Selfridge, period pieces I find quite boring or so I thought.

As I said in my blog a while back, I thought I would watch a few classic films to see if they are better than the new. To kick things off I started with the epic, and some might say the best Gone With The Wind. It’s a jaw dropping 4 hours in length, so I watched it over a few evenings. It was a well-made film, rich in story and was a film where the score really did narrate what was going on. Scarlett O’Hara was annoying at times, even when she was older in the film. And with Rhett O’Hara you never fully got who he was, but he was quite witty at times.


The second film I’ve seen recently is Suite Francaise. It’s not a classic film as it’s only just come out in the cinema, but it is set around the Second World War in France. I thought I wouldn’t find it compelling but it was the opposite and each character was developed, with their own battles to face in the film. It was well acted, beautifully shot and watch out for a nearly unrecognisable Margot Robbie of Wolf of Wall Street and Neighbours fame.


No comments:

Post a Comment