Wednesday 12 August 2015

New Album #24-27: Random Mix for a Road Trip

A trip to Wales is a just over 3 hours there and 3 hours back; so I thought when I went to Abergavenny this would be the perfect time to listen to a few albums and podcasts. I put about my trip on Facebook asking if anybody had albums to listen to and my friend Penny from drumming said I was more than welcome to look through her CD collection. So the night before the trip I went round hers and picked a few CD’s for the road.

And of course I went to my resident music advisor's Jen and Mark for their album picks as well. I picked quite a few albums from Penny and got 4 from the Walkers, so to make things even I listened to 3 albums each.


                My resident music advisor Jen and I

I started off with Jools Holland; More Friends: Small World Big Band Volume 2, which I think was perfect road trip music. The album had lots of variety and different artists collaborating. You could tell that they all wanted to make great music with each track. My favourite song was Together We Are Strong by Jools Holland, Sam Moore and Sam Brown.

The second album I listened to was Happy People by Peace and this was a nice summertime feeling album, it sounded like a cross between the Beach Boys and Bombay Bicycle Club. Django Django’s self titled album followed and the album sounded like it should be the soundtrack to a Quentin Tarantino film. Like so many albums though with the songs all sounding similar, it’s hard to pick out a favourite song from each.

The last album I listened to in the journey was one of the most random ones for the album. When I saw it in Penny’s collection, I just had to pick it up. Penny’s husband had got it as a joke from one of his customers as apparently one of the group visits his restaurant but they don’t know which one. The 27th album I listened to for the challenge was the best of Chas and Dave! And not just any album, a 2 disc set. So while stuck on the M25 on a hot Sunday afternoon with the windows open, other drivers were given the delights of Chas and Dave. Penny hadn’t listened to it herself and it was still sealed. The first disc wasn’t as bad as I thought. It was light hearted and the whole album had a feel of a night at the pub with your friends. I’d only heard of two of their songs before listening to the album; Rabbit and Snooker Loopy.



                           My other music advisor Penny and I

The second disc I listened to when I got back and it was full of medleys which to be honest they could’ve done without. A medley or a megamix should be 10 minutes max and on the first album they had a few that were longer and felt like a lifetime. It was too much of a good thing guys! 

No comments:

Post a Comment