Sunday 30 August 2015

New Recipe #19, New Food #23 and New Phrase #9: Classy Cricket

As I ‘ve said before my dad Bobby and I like cricket and he’d been camping with my sister for a week while The Ashes was on. So this afternoon he came round to watch some of the test highlights.

I’m in full challenge mode so I also took the opportunity to cook a new recipe as well. I cooked Crème Brûlée, which is something I hadn't tried before either. I planned to cook it this weekend for a while, but as luck would have it they were cooking it on Bake Off this week, so I got some tips from there.


It was pretty straight forward to make, however I was worried it would turn watery or like scrambled eggs. Timing wise I had to leave it in the oven for 10 minutes more than the recipe said and they came out well. They tasted great, and I’m surprised at how filling they are.

What would have been better was if I used a blowtorch to caramelise the top. I do have one, but I didn’t realise that you need fuel in it, and I didn’t have any. So I did the Mary Berry way and grilled the top, which worked just as well.


While Bobby was here he also told me a phrase in a different language. He’s always been into history and we watched Time Team every Sunday growing up. So he taught me the Latin for ‘The Senate and People of Rome’ which is Senatus Populus Que Romanus!

So a fun afternoon and the cricket weren’t bad either.

No comments:

Post a Comment