Monday 17 August 2015

New Comedians #14-15: Familiar Faces

Just after Christmas I discovered a shop called Cex; it’s a second hand DVD shop and one I shouldn't visit very often as I could spend a lot of money as there are bargains everywhere.

With just under 2 months to go to finish the challenge and limited funds I thought I’d be economical and creative with how I saw some comedians. So I took a visit to Cex and discovered they have a lot of stand-up comedy DVD’s with prices starting at 20p! I picked out 7 comedians that I hadn’t seen do stand-up comedy before and spent the grand total of £5.55. And to make things even better a colleague of mine loves comedy and is going on maternity leave in the next few weeks, so I’m going to give them to her to laugh the countdown to her due date.

The first comedian I watched was Omid Djalili. I was aware of him and randomly saw him in the Prince of Persia film but hadn’t seen his stand up. I watched it in two parts and surprisingly the second half was better. The first half was mainly about terrorists and religion and the second half he would every so often he would say; everything up until now is shit, the show starts now.’ Then it would get better!


The second comedian I watched over the weekend was Dara O Briain’s, again I’d seen clips of him in Mock of the Week but hadn’t really seen anything with him in. I don’t know whether the challenge has made me harder to laugh as I’ve been watching a lot of comedians, but I didn’t laugh much. The ending was funny and I was impressed with how he remembered people he spoke to in the audience in the first few minutes, at the end of the show.


I’ll be watching the other DVD’s throughout the rest of August, so will be interesting to see which ones tickle my funny bone.

No comments:

Post a Comment