Sunday 9 August 2015

Reconnecting #26 and New Places #26: Celebrating 10 years of Friendship

This weekend I went away with 2 of my old house mates from uni; Emma and Lizi. We all went to Staffordshire Uni and were in halls together back in 2005 and then lived together in a student house for 2 years after that.

We thought it would be nice to catch up and stay somewhere, so we went to Abergavenny in a nice little barn conversion at the back of a lady’s farm. It was lovely and we picked great weather. So great I got sunburnt! Yes sunburnt in Wales!

I’d seen Emma about a month or so ago in Birmingham, but it had been 18 months since I last saw Lizi. She’s got the travelling and teaching bug and has taught in Hong Kong and will be heading off to Spain in September to teach as well.


                                   One of the first pictures of me and Lizi back in 2005!

It was great to catch up and we spent the whole time reminiscing, walking, talking, eating and drinking and laughing lots. Lizi brought a game called Dobble which was a great game but gets you very competitive.

Abergavenny was very nice. Going to see my Uncle in Wales my family may have driven through it when I was younger or stopped for a toilet break there, but I’d never stayed there. We walked up Skirrid Fawr which gave great views of the area and had a nice wonder in the area.


Mine, Lizi, Emma and Ro's (our other house mate who couldn't make it) friendship is one that no matter how much time has passed you can just pick up right where you left off. Towards the end Lizi reflected on all our lives in the years that have passed since graduation and sort of gave us all a little pick me up as she focused on all that we had achieved. Emma still lives at home, but her and Lizi have been travelling in Australia, New Zealand and Asia, as well as complete a teaching course and she’s secured her first teaching job starting in September. Lizi focused on the fact that I had been living independently since leaving uni and she finds that I worked in London for a couple of years was a great thing. Sometimes it takes a different perspective to help you remember what you've achieved even if you think you haven’t achieved much. And as for Lizi she’s been dancing to the beat of her own drum, travelling, teaching and exploring the world. Love you Liza-beth as I call her, please never change.

No comments:

Post a Comment