Monday 28 September 2015

New books #27-28: Different view point

I had a pretty busy weekend, but somehow still found time to read a couple of books! The first book I read I managed to read on the train while going to and from Hampton Court Palace. I read War Horse by Michael Morpurgo which is the famous book about a horse’s view of the Second World War and the friendship he has with his original owner’s son. Throughout the book they are separated but neither of them forgets their bond. The book is now a play and was made into a film a few years ago. I saw the film when it came out with Bobby and Lord Studman and I remembered how I was the youngest in the audience by a good 30 years.

The book was okay; it was easy to read but took me quite a bit of time to get used to reading a story from a view point of a horse.


The second book I read was called The Yellow Wall-Paper. It’s part of a series of short books Penguin had released to celebrate its 80th birthday. They released 80 books, all at 80p each! I originally bought a few for Matt when I was seeing him as he always wanted to read, but because he was very busy with work he never had the time. I didn't buy all 80 but I bought him around half a dozen or so and was going to give him a couple every few weeks, but we didn't make it that far, so I’m left with some very random books.

The Yellow Wall-Paper is by Charlotte Perkins Gilman and the three stories in the book were originally published in 1892, 1893 and 1911. So by far this was the oldest book I’d read in the challenge! To be honest I didn't think much of the stories. I couldn't connect with the female lead character and this maybe due to there not being much description at the start. I also felt like the stories didn't have much happen in them either, so I finished the book asking myself what it was all about.

No comments:

Post a Comment