Tuesday 29 September 2015

New recipes #20-26: Food gathering

On Sunday I had a little food gathering for friends and family. It was to act as a little trade off as well. I made nice food and in return I got some unusual food to try or a new phrase for my challenge.

I aimed to cook 10 recipes as I had quite a few people set to attend but ended up making 6. This was a blessing in disguise as 3 people couldn’t make it on the day and 2 others who said they were going to come never showed. Even so I still have a lot of food left over which I’m sure my work colleagues will appreciate, and means I don’t have to go food shopping for quite a while.

I started preparing food on the Thursday as I had a busy weekend ahead and the first thing I made was chicken liver and orange pate. The pate was made with chicken livers which I got from Morrisons for a very high price of 19p! It was pretty straight forward to make which I was surprised about and smelt and tasted like pate. Although before freezing it I did think it looked like dog poo. Even so it still tasted great on French bread.

I was still making slight tweaks in what I was going to make the night before and I was wondering what I could make with ingredients I already had. From the granola bars I had quite a few different seeds left and with them I raspberry jam and a luxury nut and seed loaf. The jam was surprisingly easy to make. It wasn’t proper jam like my mum made with the long cooking process, but it tasted and looked just like jam and was extra healthy as it had Chia seeds in it.

I got inspiration from my favourite band Lady Antebellum in the form of Devilled Eggs. I found out about these through one of their webisodes as Charles from the band would impersonate his crazy aunt bella. She would go on about her devilled eggs and how they were amazing. I googled the recipe and thought I’d give them a try. I hadn’t tried them before either and boy did they have a bit of a kick. 


The nut and seed loaf tasted good, but it did need a sauce or gravy which I didn’t have time to make. It recommended a cranberry and apple sauce but I couldn’t find any cranberries. But it was still pretty filling.


I also made 2 desserts and I seem to be back in my pudding stride after some landslides earlier in the challenge. I made a passion fruit trifle which was a simple recipe using brioche slices as the base. The reason why I made a trifle was that I felt that all the dishes I was making were a little brown. So I asked one of my friends what I should make for dessert that had a bit of colour, and passion fruit was the answer. It was another easy recipe to make and there weren’t any complaints. 


The last thing I made on the day was Banoffee Pie. Now I have an eventful history with Banoffee pie, as when I was growing up if there was free food around I would make the most of it. One Boxing Day we went to my auntie’s and there was a lot of great food. So I stuffed myself and when I got home was subsequently sick, and the last thing I ate was you guessed it Banoffee pie. I’ve never had it since. But I did make it for the challenge and it went down a storm. My friend Penny called me the queen of Banoffee and quite a few people went back for seconds!


I was planning to make Biryani on the Sunday but I decided to make it the day after and I loved it. The rice was very fragrant and it the meat and sauce wasn’t too spicy but was full of flavour. It’s a dish I’ll definitely make again and again.


No comments:

Post a Comment