Friday 18 September 2015

New People: What I have learnt from people that I’ve met

Looking back over the people that I’ve met during the challenge, two words come to mind: randomness and opportunity. Usually I’ll add in the end of the category blog posts what the best part of the category was, but I don’t think you can do that with people.

Going on holidays always provides an opportunity to meet new people and going to Rome and the Brecon Beacons did just that. I met people from all walks of life with great stories to tell.


Other people I’ve met I admired from afar, like Mary Berry and Freddie Flintoff and even though there wasn’t much of an opportunity to say much I’m glad I met them.


People can make a good evening out great, they can add entertainment value when you least expect it, like Darren who I met on the tube who loudly asked me out. And meeting Louise and Punita at Davina McCall's empowerment evening meant that it was nice to share a new experience with like minded people.


I’ve met people who are the keys to my friends’ happiness, like Ayden is to Humaira and Rob is to Laura. And then sometimes you meet people who become one of the keys to your own happiness and for 6 months this was Matt.


Over the challenge I had in my mind that I was going to meet due to some opportunities I created, but they fell through. Not all plans work out. I thought I would meet Bradley Cooper after seeing Elephant Man (thinking it would be easy like meeting Jake Gyllenhaal in New York) and I was due to meet a Bath rugby player as well, but that didn’t materialise.

Until very recently I thought that a guy I met a few weeks ago would be the perfect happy ending for the people part of the challenge. But after three dates and the first lasting from 8pm-2am and both of us not wanting it to end, he met someone who blew him away even more. Yes it was only three dates, so no time at all really, but sometimes you just have a feeling something is different. And for me that rarely happens, I try not to get excited too quickly (unless it's to do with Australian Masterchef.) I am after all the person who would only get excited about a holiday when I’m sitting on the plane ready for take-off.

There have been great highs and unexpected lows during the time I’ve been doing the challenge. Meeting new people have distracted me from the bruises in life I’ve got and help me back together again and become stronger. Jane Fonda, the main inspiration for this challenge said in her master class about studying muscles, that they can tear but they build back stronger. So I guess meeting people this past year has helped me build up muscle.


While I’m talking about meeting new people I thought I’d share one of my favourite quotes; ‘People are in your life for a reason, season or life time.’ And at the end of this part of the challenge this quote couldn’t be truer.

No comments:

Post a Comment