Thursday 3 September 2015

New Albums: What was the best and what did I learn?

Starting the music part of the challenge I knew listening to new albums was a chance for me to be open minded and looking through the list of albums I listened to I wasn’t wrong.


It’s quite a diverse list of albums; from iconic artists and albums, to country, rock, dance, musicals film and Chas and Dave! Normally I wouldn’t have listened to this much variety normally.

People have asked me what my top albums were from the challenge and they were:

·Girl Talk- All Day

·Age of the Understatement- Last Shadow Puppets

·Led Zeppelin- Mothership

·Lionel Ritchie- Definitive Collection

·Parov Stellar

Girl Talk was my favourite very early on, it was a recommendation from my friend Coops and I had no idea what to expect. But it was an album full of mashups and I love mashups so it suited my tastes perfectly. Apparently there’s another album which I need to listen to.

The top 5 is quite eclectic; the Last Shadow Puppets album felt like I was listening to a film soundtrack, the production on it was amazing. With Lionel and Led Zeppelin, you forget with both how many songs they’ve done that you recognise. And Parov Stellar was completely random and was a fusion of European jazz and dance that made you feel like you were on holiday. Not many songs can take you to another place.

The main thing I learnt from the album part of the challenge wasn’t about the music and more about my friends. A large proportion of the albums were recommendations from friends near and far. These albums sometimes marked memorable moments in their life, or inspired them in a new way, or revealed a side to them I didn’t know about them before. So I feel I know these friends a lot better. 

When it comes to albums I will be even more open minded after the challenge….but I doubt I’d want to listen to Chas and Dave again!

No comments:

Post a Comment