Thursday 17 September 2015

New Comedians #16-20: TV favourites and recommendations

After a non stop week of physical work on the National Trust holiday I wanted to have a chilled out week, so thought it was great opportunity to watch some comedians.

Rob Brydon was first up and I’ve seen him in Gavin and Stacey and the odd interview, but not much else. His stand up was pretty good and about everyday things which people could relate to. Like Dara O’Briain what impressed me was his ability to remember audience members names at the end of the show. I also liked how at the start he saw two empty seats near the front and got two members of the audience who were in the balcony to come on down and take them.

John Cleese was another person who again I’d heard of, but apart from Will & Grace I hadn’t really seen him in anything. I know it’s shameful I haven’t seen Fawlty Towers or Monty Python. His stand up was based on the fact that he had to do it to fund his divorce. The stand up material was different to others that I’ve watched as rather then getting the audience involved it was more a history of his life, which was really interesting. Although it would have been good to see some interaction with the audience to give it some uniqueness, otherwise he’s doing the exact same thing every night. Not that he needs any advice from me!


The next two comedians were recommendations from a guy I met recently. And although we only saw each other three times, he seemed to get my sense of humour spot on. He recommended I watch Kevin Hart’s Laugh at My Pain stand up show and it was one of the funniest stand up shows I’ve ever seen. I was laughing non stop. I’d seen Kevin Hart in the challenge already thanks to seeing the Wedding Ringer film, but his stand up is so far the only stand up I could quote to you days after seeing it. So if you’ve seen it, if I say; ‘stay in your lane’ pineapple’ and ‘alright, alright, alright’ you’ll know what I’m going on about.

The second comedian I was recommended was a guy called Bill Burr. I watched his show called You People are all the Same. It wasn’t as funny as Kevin Hart but Bill had one of those voices that make anything sound funny which is always a winner for me. He reminded me a lot of an actor called Charlie Day who has one of those types of voices.


Then I watched Sean Lock’s stand up DVD which was lent to me by Matt. And to be honest I didn’t find it funny at all. There wasn’t much interaction with the audience and there wasn’t anything original, I felt like I had heard it all before. I think Sean Lock maybe one of those comedians that work well on a panel show as there are other people to work off, but maybe not on his own. Although saying that the audience at the show he was doing found him hysterical so it might be he doesn’t match my sense of humour.

No comments:

Post a Comment