Saturday 2 May 2015

29 films done and dusted, what have I learnt?

When I started the challenge I had a feeling that the film part of the challenge would be the first part that I would complete, and I was right.


                      None of the films I watched were as great as Shawshank Redemption

I’ve seen documentaries, epics, historical, comedy, cult, romance, films that had a lot of hype and films that were so bad they were good. Some were forgettable; others I wondered how they got made in the first place, a few were disappointing and didn’t live up to hype and others I wanted to see again as soon as they finished.

Particular highlights for me include Love, Rosie and even though romantic comedies are no longer my go to film, I think because it was based on one of my favourite books I was pleased with how it turned out.

The Imitation Game was surprisingly gripping as was Headhunters. 21 Years was motivating and I was impressed with how Birdman was made. Indecent Proposal was another surprise and I really liked it. And although I’m not a fan of period pieces, I liked Gone with the Wind and Suite Francaise.

So what lessons have I learnt from the films? Joan Rivers and Richard Linklater taught me to not stop working. The Judge, Delivery Man and The Descendants told me that family loyalty is important. Birdman and The Second Exotic Marigold Hotel showed that it’s never too late to have success. Perhaps the best lesson and quote from all the films I watched comes from The Imitation Game; ‘Sometimes it is the people who no one imagines anything of who do the things that no one can imagine.’


There really hasn’t been a pattern in the films that I’ve watched, and as a result I’ve been looking at my dvd collection and wonder which films I should chuck out as some I haven’t seen in years. So in the future my film collection may look a little different. Thanks to everyone who watched the films with me as part of the challenge. 

No comments:

Post a Comment