Monday 25 May 2015

New Books #16 and #17: The biggest Contrast

I wouldn't have thought I’d read this book for the challenge, but after some persuading from my sister Lisa I did. For my 16th book in the challenge I read Miley Cyrus’ autobiography Miles to Go. Now Lisa wouldn't say she’s a fan of Miley Cyrus, but she’s got 2 copies of the autobiography, one for craft purposes and the other to read. And after not including the Hannah Montana movie as part of the film challenge, she said I had to read the Miley book.

So I did and it was a challenge to finish it because it wasn't the best book, very laughable in a lot of places. I learnt quite a lot of trivial things about Miley Cyrus, for example she wants to be asked more about her hands in interviews! It would be interesting for Miley to read back what she wrote and whether she kept to anything she said back when she was 16.


In the biggest contrast possible the next book I read was Carol Ann Duffy’s The World’s Wife. I've only read one poem of hers before and that’s onion. And probably most people my age would've read it as it was in a poem anthology for GCSE English.


The concept of the collection of poems in The Wife is clever; it’s the view point of famous wives in history and literature. Darwin’s wife, King Kong’s wife, the wives of the Kray twins. However with a large majority of the poems, I didn’t have an extensive knowledge of the husband’s life to fully understand the poetry written. My favourite poem in the book was Mrs Fraust and that’s because of its quick pace and humour to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment