Monday 11 May 2015

New Album #8-11: A random Music Marathon

After my weekend of reading lots of books I decided to have a weekend of listening to lots of music. It started with Olly Murs’ Never Been Better album. It’s his 4th album and I've got the first 3. There were no surprises with this album and he stuck to the same formula as his albums, a few ballads, few album fillers and very catchy ones that would be singles. Stand out songs for me were; Did You Miss Me? and Beautiful to Me.


           At the X Factor Concert in 2010 where it all began for Olly Murs.

The second album was lent by my sister and was Regina SpeKtor’s FaR. I've heard the odd song of hers before but never an album in full. It was a very whimsical sounding album, but there weren't any stand out songs for me. Potentially there were a few songs that could be growers so maybe I’ll give it a 2nd listen.

Following this album was The Age of the Understatement by The Last Shadow Puppets which features Alex Turner, my friend Linsey's favourite. She lent me the album and I wasn't sure what to expect but I loved it. The whole album could have been a soundtrack for a very stylish film, or any of the songs could have been Bond themes. The songs were narrative based and I could easily imagine music videos for every one of them.

The final album was also recommended by Linsey who until this challenge I didn’t realise what a variety of music she was into! Led Zeppelin’s Mothership album is a very lengthy 24 songs, could it count for 2 albums on the challenge?! The whole album felt like a master class in guitar riffs and their songs have been used for so many things. Whole Lotta Love is a great song and I got really excited when I heard Kashmir as that is sampled on one of my favourite songs called Come with Me. So it was great to hear the original.

So 4 completely random albums, and I enjoyed listening to them all. 

No comments:

Post a Comment