Thursday 8 October 2015

New book #29: The nicest guy

A few weeks ago I went to the Radio Times Festival with my family. Strange as it sounds I love the Radio Times and it’s a sign that Christmas has arrived when the Christmas edition is out and I can highlight all the films and programmes I plan to watch.

The festival had lots of talks taking place and I went to two. The first was one by Bafta about how to get into TV and the second was a talk with David Nicholls the author who is best known for his books Starter for Ten and One Day which were also made into films.

His talk was about his career and about his latest book Us. It was actually the last time he’d be doing promotion as it had been a year since the book was released.


I decided to go to his book signing after the talk about Us as it was the only book of his I hadn’t read. I had wanted to ask a question at his talk but they ran out of time so I asked him when he was signing my book; I said that I was writing a screenplay and asked how he dealt with writers block. And he couldn’t have been nicer he gave me some tips even though there was a queue of people behind waiting for their books to be signed. So that gave me more motivation for my writing.

Now back to the book it was about a couple called Connie and Douglas who had been married for 25 years and Connie was thinking of leaving Douglas. They had a son called Albie and they planned one last holiday through Europe before he went to university. The book was well written and travelled through each country as well as the couple’s past and how they got to where they are today with ease. David Nicholls books are easy to read and the characters develop quickly which makes you care for them. During the talk quite a few people took either Douglas or Connie’s side on things and I couldn’t decide which side to go for. It might take a second reading to determine that.
So a great book to finish the book part of the challenge.

No comments:

Post a Comment