Saturday 24 October 2015

New Comedians #27-29: The Last Hurrah

Towards the end of the challenge I aware that I’d only seen one woman in the comedians’ part of the challenge. I told Hayley aka Rock sent me a link to a Marie Claire article of comediennes and it was there that I found a different way to watch comedians aside from in comedy clubs and DVDs which I had been doing for the challenge.

One of the comediennes on the list was Bonnie McFarlane and she made a documentary called Woman Aren’t Funny and it explored that statement. The documentary interviewed lots of female comedians about how it is in the profession and the reaction they get.


It was a really interesting documentary; it showed the history of female comedians, as well as what current male comedians thought. Bonnie is married to a stand-up comic called Rich Vos and she met him when he was a judge on a comedy talent show she was entering and he was the judge. So I got to see his stand up material as well as Bonnie’s.

One thing Bonnie did which I thought was clever was she did a stand-up routine dressed as a man, to see how the reaction would differ. Both Bonnie and Rich are great comedians and the documentary gave me a great insight into the world of stand-up comedy.

The last comedian I saw for the challenge was Lee Mack. I was aware of him as he’d been on lots of panel shows over the years and his stand up was okay. However I'm fine with swearing on the whole, but I feel he thought he was funnier when he swore, when in fact he wasn't.

No comments:

Post a Comment