Monday 26 October 2015

New recipes: What have I learnt and what was the best?

Just over half of what I cooked in the challenge was something sweet. Not all my cooking attempts were successful; in fact the sweet treats were things that often went wrong. The key lime pie was a landslide, as was the upside down cake which didn't cook fully either. Panna cotta and the chocolate fondant didn't come out of the ramekins and pudding basins successfully, and the macaroons didn't turn out great either.


With all the failures in the cooking it doesn’t mean that I failed the challenge. I cooked things I wouldn't normally cook or things that I thought were adventurous. I was really surprised with how the Crème Brulee turned out. I thought they would be a disaster because on Bake Off the week I cooked them, the contestants had trouble mastering them. But they were a hit and surprisingly easy to make.


I learnt how to cook some basics like Stew, steak and flapjack and there were some dishes that I would definitely make again like Biryani, the vegetable rosti and Mexican scrambled eggs, which I have already made again.

The best times of cooking were when I was cooking for friends and family and I loved making brunch and doing the pudding club and food gathering. On the subject of the food gathering I must do a little shout out to Fran who made me some Indian almond milk sweets and I forgot to mention that in the food part of the challenge. Sorry Fran! Hopefully I can cook for you again soon.


No comments:

Post a Comment