Saturday 24 October 2015

New phrases: What have I learnt and what was the best

This part of the challenge was the one area where I didn’t know what to expect, or how long it would take me. With films, books and recipes you know where to find them. But with phrases it’s a more open option. Do I ask strangers in a foreign country for a phrase? Do I start learning a foreign language to get some phrases down?

How they came to me on the most part was from my friends and family and their travels and nationalities. Fabiana and my Auntie Benita gave me phrases from their mother tongue. Hayley gave me a phrase from when she went on holiday and Lizi, Emma and Tom gave me phrases they learnt on their travels which were all quite varied. Fran and Kayleigh gave me phrases at the food gathering as well.

My favourite part of getting new phrases was when I was on the National Trust holiday. The people on the holiday were really enthusiastic about the challenge and wanted to help with it. With the variety of nationalities in the group, the phrases were the best way to help. So one day after the work element of the holiday we headed to a pub, armed with a notebook the others took it in turn to write phrases they knew. If you look at the list of languages used, they extend longer then what the group knew in their mother tongue. The phrases were also the most random list.


For some reason the best phrases were the insults that were given. I guess what I should do with my phrases learnt is use them in public, but I’m not sure I’m brave enough to use the insults!

No comments:

Post a Comment