Saturday 17 October 2015

New comedians #21-25: Home stretch

It’s funny when I started the challenge I didn’t think the comedians part would be one element that I would finish last, but it was. So it was a bit of a mad rush towards the end.

So which comedians did I watch in the lead up to the end of the challenge? I started off the home stretch of comedians with Mark Watson who I heard of before but hadn’t seen. I really liked his comedy, probably because I’m my father’s daughters in the fact that I like train journeys and Mark’s comedy was mainly about people he met on train journeys. Fear not my train journey stories aren’t comedy worthy.

I then watched an Irish comedian called Neil Delaware and I didn’t find him funny at all. I didn’t laugh once and I think it might have been because I’m not Irish and the large majority of his jokes were about living in Ireland and the little quirks.


Andy Parsons was a similar comedian to Sean Locke and I feel the jokes he told were very dated and if I watched the DVD the year it was released then I probably would've found it funny.
Now have you heard of Dave Allen? Probably not and it was a random choice for the challenge, but I bought it randomly at CEX in the comedy section and thought why not. The DVD was collection of monologues and comedy sketches from shows he did in the 70s and 80s, The comedy was a mixture of word play and visual comedy and the visual stuff I found quite funny; in particular one sketch where a group of workers went to a sardine factory where they worked, so they walked to work very close together, packed like sardines!

Eddie Izzard is a comedian everyone has heard of and he’s been around for years, but I hadn’t seen any of his stand up. To be honest I didn’t find it hilarious and I think that’s down to intellect, he’s very smart and I think as a result quite a few of his jokes went over my head.

No comments:

Post a Comment