Thursday 11 December 2014

New Albums #1: Visiting a highway

It takes me nearly an hour to drive to work, so this gives me a chance to belt out my favourite songs, with nobody being able to hear me. Today I thought I’d do something different, so I listened to an album I hadn't heard before. My friend Rachel is a huge Bob Dylan fan and when I told her about the challenge, she put Bob Dylan on the list.

The album of his I listened to was Highway 61 Revisited and there were 9 tracks. What I didn’t realised with Dylan tracks is that they all quite long, the longest being 11 minutes! While listening to the album, it did feel like I was driving in America, instead of driving to Cambridge.


What I like about the album is how each song has a strong narrative; you can really build characters from the lyrics. Now whatever I say about what Bob Dylan songs remind me of, I will get slated, but with the narrative element it does remind me of Billy Joel songs as he does the same. You only have to listen to All for Leyla and Allentown to hear this.


I'm glad I've listened to a Bob Dylan album as he has been an enigma to me for years. 

No comments:

Post a Comment