Friday 5 December 2014

Writing 29 pages of a screenplay per month: Where it all began

For any eagle eyed readers of the blog, you will notice that I haven’t put an entry about writing 29 pages of a screenplay for November. Well I'm afraid I didn't have time in November. Sometimes life gets in the way. So I'm going to roll over the pages. So in December I'm going to attempt to write 58 pages in December. That equals to nearly an hour of film; here’s hoping to being snowed in a few days this month!

So instead of writing about my progress, which there isn’t any, I thought I’d say about my background when it comes to screen-writing. From the age of 5-19 I went to drama club, and below are a couple of pictures of the first play I was in. It was Winnie the Pooh and yes I was Winnie the Pooh! Seeing scripts from an early age means they weren't a daunting thing. So when it came to school, taking part in plays was automatic, and I did GCSE and A Level Drama as well.


When I went to uni I made a decision to stop acting. I didn't get the usual ‘buzz’ from it that other people got, and saw it more as part of a weekly, sometimes daily routine. If I missed acting then I could join the drama society, but I didn't miss it.


I've always been into films and taking Media A Level heightened my interest. I learnt a great deal about the construction of film, in terms of structure, and how every film uses Propp's theory. For example, how there is always a hero and a villain, a princess and so on.

Around my penultimate semester of my journalism degree I realised journalism wasn't for me. I signed up for a 4 day intensive course about screen-writing, and it was here my interest ignited. I started having ideas for screenplays, but when life happens the ideas take a back burner.

A couple of years ago I went to a Raindance film school for a day course and this was a great opportunity to learn about different techniques for screen-writing. Once again my interest in screen-writing reignited.


The ideas for screenplays have been flowing ever since. Now it’s just about making time in my daily routine to write them.

No comments:

Post a Comment